Tuesday, April 21, 2009

gifting

It's been a long day, Internet, and my energy is fast waning.

I have always wanted to say, "fast waning."

But I will press myself to get today's recommendation to you.

Today's recommendation is.... Freecycle.

Freecycle is a loosely organized network of local groups dedicated to recirculating Stuff. You want something? You post and ask for it. You got something? You post and offer it.

I know, I know, our blog is now in danger of turning into one of those oh-so-trendy personal finance / thrift blogs. Well, I was cheap before cheap was trendy, and I can tell you that no matter how many coupons you clip, free is still cheaper.

I've been part of several different Freecycle groups in 3 different states (and, where I went to college, we had a Free Table that sort of worked the same way). While occasionally they get overrun with greedy people asking for ridiculous things (WANTED: UNLOCKED 3G IPHONE), I have never had a negative Freecycle experience.

Over the years, I have been gifted the following from Freecycle:

A hamper
Sheets & towels (today! I got these today!)
Countless books
A decorative rug
Kitchen stuff
and that's all I can remember right now.

I have also given away lots of things, and in doing so discovered the real, important part of Freecycle. It's not just about Stuff and getting tons of free shit. It's about building a real community and engaging in face to face interaction and using this to subvert consumerist, homogenized culture.

So join Freecycle today. Chances are you probably have some crap you need to get rid of; chances are greater there's some crap you need or want but probably shouldn't buy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

hi. please be nice, and please don't be a spamming bot or something. we really do read every comment!